sTRING eDUCATION TRAINING PROGRAM
The mission of the String Education Training Program is to ensure the best possible music education for students of Miami-Dade County Public Schools. By affording unique opportunities for students to participate in musical activities, the String Education Training Program encourages musical independence for both students and teachers. Additionally, the program aspires to mold young musicians who will be educated consumers of music as they reach adulthood.
The String Education Training Program strives to:
- Provide students with positive musical experiences on the violin, viola, cello, and bass in small group settings.
- Develop a keen ear to listen to not only current music being studied, but music in the world around us.
- Establish interdisciplinary relationships between specific music and the content areas in the school curriculum: language arts, math, science, social studies, career awareness, and reading/writing in the content area.
- Relate musical experiences to daily life by exploring the thread of commonality between life experiences and the musical expressions of artists.
- Provide in-depth experiences in describing, analyzing, interpreting, and judging the expressive communications of musicians.
The String Education Training Program will accept applications for the 2017-2018 school year from Thursday, May 14, 2017 through Friday, May 19, 2017. School administrators and music educators interested in being considered for the String Education Training Program should complete the following application.
Music teachers at participating schools will co-teach with and receive ongoing curriculum support from District strings specialists to provide students with positive musical experiences on the violin, viola, cello, and double bass in a small group setting.
Following are the criteria that the Division of Academics, Visual and Performing Arts Education Program Office will consider when selecting schools to participate in the String Education Training Program for the 2016-17 school year:
- M-DCPS Region Equity
- M-DCPS Voter District Equity
- Preference provided for Title 1 Schools
- School Site - Principal/Administrative Support & Music Educator Support
- 2015-16 String Education Program Analysis
- Potential for Feeder Pattern Development and Enhancement
- Agreement to participate in Florida Orchestra Association Music Performance Assessments and Superintendent’s Honors Festival where appropriate
Next: Superintendent's Honors Music Festival